Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sitar of India

Mild, Medium, or Spicy?

Those are words that come to mind when I think of my eating experiences at the Sitar of India, an Indian restaurant in downtown Charleston, WV. We began eating there in the fall of 2006, when my husband came home from Iraq and began the adventure of finding food similar to the local fare he consumed during his trips to Northern Iraq. He had heard of Sitar but we had never been, so we decided to try something new.

I never thought I would enjoy Indian food so much, but it's possible!

Whether it's lunch or dinnertime, Sitar is usually packed. We've never had to wait for a table, but we've been fortunate during each trip. Sitar has a menu that features lamb, chicken, seafood, and vegetarian entrees, along with several appetizers. We typically begin with the pappadam, which tastes like a spicy black-bean cracker (it's described as a "spicy lentil wafer"). It's served for free during lunch, but you need to request it during dinner. The appetizers we've had have included vegetable samoas, which are Indian turnovers that are filled with peas and potatoes. It might not sound appetizing, but it's a good combination and keeps you full until your order arrives.

My typical order consists of Aloo Matter, which are peas and potatoes in a spiced sauce. The portion is much bigger than you might think, and it comes with basmati rice that my husband and I share (be prepared to share your rice with the table, depending on the size of your party). I've not attempted to try anything else, because this meal is cooked so well and is just spicy enough to make me take a few extra drinks of water. My husband typically orders Chicken Curry or Chicken Vindaloo, and has never had any complaints. Along with the meal (depending how hungry we are), we order Nan bread. It's unleavened bread that they bake in a tandoori clay oven, and if I could eat it everyday, I would. Yes, it's that good! It's about the size of a dinner plate, so one portion will be good for two.

Sitar was a welcome addition to our restaurant choices in Charleston, and we've taken friends and family there to try something new. They've all loved it, even if they may have been a little apprehensive to begin with. My sister requested that I bring home Chicken Curry, rice, and Nan as a Christmas gift, if that tells you anything. Needless to say, Sitar of India is a great place to go with excellent food. The prices are very reasonable, as we typically only pay $20 for two during dinner. Don't be afraid of the spice, but if you're cautious, just order the mild serving. Warning-you'll leave Sitar being very full, so park on Capitol or Summers Streets in order to ease the uncomfortable feeling!

One order of Nan, split for two.


My little cousins, who visit us every year in WV. You can see the restaurant in the background.

No comments: